It is the over-arching goal of i4Offshore that, by the end of the project period, LCoE will be reduced by at least 43% relative to a 2014 baseline: from 140 €/MWh to below 80 €/MWh, at challenging sites. To this end i4Offshore will demonstrate a cost-effective innovative 10MW-class offshore wind solution and develop innovative optimization and evidence-based models for manufacturing, installation, handling and logistics of upscaled, virtual GW-size offshore wind farms. This ambitious overall goal leads to two sets of specific Objectives for demonstration and scale-up, respectively:
Objectives for Full scale demonstration:
- Demonstrate and validate a gravity jacket foundation in a real offshore environment (subject to agreement with a wind site owner).
- Develop and demonstrate innovative cable-in-pipe system.
- Demonstrate fast assembly of jackets in a non-yard facility.
- Demonstrate mass-produced nodes optimized by robotic welding.
Note: The Demonstration related Objectives will be addressed by one integrated at-sea, full-scale Demonstrator site (owned by Vattenfall, see Letter of Support) and installed together.
Objectives for Scaling up to GW sized offshore wind farms:
- Develop models for lean industrialized manufacturing with optimized modules. Develop innovative models and strategies for offshore logistics and installation.
- Develop innovative methods for full scale O&M.
- Develop methods for identifying bottlenecks to support a balanced implementation.
- Implementation plan for GW-scale offshore wind farms using next generation turbines.
Note: The scale-up objectives in i4Offshore are complementary to the Demo objectives and will be addressed in such a way as to extend the reach of the total project impact.